Mechanics’ Institutes were generally connected to a Public Hall. Bayles was another local town which had a Mechanics’ Institute. This was located in the Bayles Hall which had been re-located from Yallock and officially opened in January 1932. The Tooradin Mechanics Institute was built in 1882, burnt down in 1937 and the existing Hall was opened in 1938. The old Cora Lynn hall was also originally a Mechanics Institute. Mechanic’s Institutes generally had a library, and may have offered lectures, discussions or classes.
The Koo-Wee-Rup hall was of weather board and it was extended in 1919. The brick front and other rooms were added in 1923-24 and it was renamed the Memorial Hall to honour the First World War soldiers.
Hall before the 1923 extension.
The original Hall and the brick extension are clearly seen in the photograph, which was taken during the 1934 flood
These two views of the Hall are photographs from the Mechanics’ Institutes Resource Centre at the Prahran Mechanics' Institute http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mivic/projects.htm